IT’S BEEN AWHILE, I haven’t written anything since March. Anything. ANYTHING,
It’s not that I didn’t want to write. At least for awhile I wanted to. I did. I had all sorts of keen philosophical ideas in my head to write about. But things,,, happened.
I’m not going to say because you all know what I’m talking about.
Anyway, I wanted to write and I didn’t. And then I waited and forgot that brilliant dissertation on Hegel I was going to write.
But, as my mama never told me, there’s a silver lining to everything, and forgetting about everything I was going to write about — even my brilliant dissertation on Hegel — can be a good thing.
That Hegel dissertation was gonna be brilliant. Brilliant.
But, since wonderful things can come from complete chaos, a lack of productivity has allowed me to think of the things I’m grateful for.
Which works out pretty swell considering today is Thanksgiving Day.
And they say there’s no such thing as a coincidence.
So… because today is a day to be grateful. And because philosophers like listing things
ok, i don’t know if that’s true, but it seems like something that should be true
Here’s my philosophical things I’m grateful for list:
- I’m grateful 2020 is almost over.
- I’m grateful there are folks out there who, despite an overwhelming collective case of The Dumb, are still lovers of wisdom.
- I’m grateful philosophy is still a thing.
- I’m grateful I decided (ok, I was persuaded) to add a philosophy major.
- I’m grateful for Facebook. Yes, There, I said it. I’m grateful for Facebook. And I’m grateful for every one of my likes and followers. I;m a so-so philosopher, and I may never answer that message you sent me, but I appreciate that, of all the philosophy pages on Facebook, you’ve come to mine…. and I promise that I will attempt to try to avoid going cringe.
- I’m grateful for JSTOR. And the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- I’m grateful for Hegel memes.
- I’m grateful for The Good Place and the new Star Trek and for all those Netflix shows that got people asking, “what does all of this really mean?”
- Lastly, if you’re reading this, my silly “philosophy” blog post, however you are reading it, thank you. I’m grateful to you most of all.